Cycling has many benefits including being good for you, your wallet and your community!
- Cycling can help to reduce stress and improve mental health
- Cycling can reduce the risk of heart disease and other chronic illnesses
- Cycling can help manage your weight
- Bicycles require no road tax, no MOT, no insurance and no fuel bills!
- A good bike can last for years with little ongoing maintenance
- A bicycle can be parked almost anywhere, no more expensive car park bills
- Bicycles produce no pollution and are a lot quieter too
- Cycling significantly reduces your carbon footprint
- Twenty bicycles can be parked in the space taken up by one car
What equipment do I need?
All you need to start cycling is a suitable bike and helmet!
You may also want to look at wearing suitable clothing for the weather and trousers that won’t get caught in the chain or wheels. If you’re going for a longer ride then padded shorts are a good idea for added comfort as well as reflective clothing and lights for riding in the dark.
How do I get involved?
Nottingham is a cycle friendly city with various cycle routes, clubs and organisations to support getting you back into the saddle including offering training and led rides, there really is something for everyone! Nottingham City Council also has a comprehensive programme of indoor cycling sessions available at our 8 leisure centres including 4 dedicated spin studios, hydro spin sessions, a new virtual spin programme as well as static bikes in the gyms and a 1.5km closed road cycle circuit at Harvey Hadden Sports Village, providing the perfect opportunity to cycle in a traffic free environment.